Implant & Oral Surgery of Colorado
Oral surgeons are doctors who have completed training as a general dentist and specialize in maxillo-facial surgery. Here are some of the most common types of surgical interventions performed by oral surgeons:
- Wisdom tooth extractions – wisdom teeth are vestigial molars that do not take part in chewing or biting any more, therefore they are the teeth that decay the first and they often cause very severe problems because they cannot erupt or grow properly. Such problems usually can only be solved surgically, by removing the wisdom tooth;
- Other dental extractions – many general dentists today refer all their patients who need extractions to an extraction expert, like sedation dentistry Castle Rock oral surgeons. Specialists in oral surgery frequently do all sorts of extractions, whether simple or more complicated;
- The installation of dental implants – the most advanced dental replacement solution is usually performed by oral surgeons because the procedure requires minor incisions in the gums to create space for the implant;
- Removing warts and other oral growths – the removal of oral papillomas and swollen saliva glands are also among the most common interventions performed by oral surgeons;
- Corrective jaw surgery – whether it is surgery performed to restore the function of the jaw, to repair the issues caused by a facial trauma or accidents or to correct birth defects, oral surgeons frequently perform complicated surgery on the joints, the bones and the muscles of the jaw as well.
Dental implants are the most modern dental replacement solutions, artificial teeth made from strong and lightweight material, mounted one at a time.
Implants look and feel every bit as natural teeth and they are also strong enough for supporting bridges. Here are some other things to know about the solution:
- The components of a dental implant – implants consist of a screw, usually made from titanium, that is mounted into the jaw and fuses with the jaw bone and an abutment that is mounted on the screw and has the role of supporting the visible part of the implant: the crown;
- The duration of the procedure – the first step of getting an implant is to make sure that the jaw bone is strong enough to receive the screw. If you want to have an implant in the gap left by a recently extracted tooth, be prepared to wait 4-6 months before you can get the titanium screw mounted. After the screw is mounted, you need to allow about the same amount of time for the screw to fuse with the jaw bone, then the abutment is installed and if the body receives it well, the final part, the crown can be installed.
You can learn more about this procedure by talking to a IOSC dental implants Colorado Springs professional.
Oral health is important not only for a happy, healthy smile, but for your general health as well – the oral cavity is among the most important lines of defense of our body the role of which is also to protect our internal organs from various infections caused by bacteria and viruses. In short, maintaining the health of our oral cavity is a great way to maintain our general health – here are some tips how to achieve that:
- Pay attention to cleaning – brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing once, preferably in the evening to remove any residues stuck in the small gaps between adjacent teeth, using fluoride toothpaste and an antibacterial mouthwash is the way to ensure oral cleanliness;
- Regular dental visits – visit your dentist every six months even if you have no symptoms or dental issues – it is the best way to catch any problem in its incipient phase;
- Listen to your dentist – when they recommend wisdom teeth removal, or additional advance treatments to keep your teeth healthy, visit acclaimed Castle Rock oral surgery centers.
- Pay attention to your diet – reducing your sugar intake, increasing your intake of chewy, fiber-rich foods, such as apples and carrots and avoiding very hard foods, such as hard candies, is another great measure for maintaining your oral health. You should also replace carbonated beverages with water or with herbal tea varieties that do not stain the teeth.
Tags: Castle Rock oral surgery
Oral health involves the health of the entire oral cavity, including not only the teeth, but the gums, the tongue and the palate as well – here are some easy to follow tips often suggested by oral surgeon Castle Rock experts to keep your mouth healthy:
- Thorough, regular cleaning with the right tools – ideally, you should brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss at least once. Use a brush that is not too hard, floss that is not too thick and a fluoride toothpaste. The actual cleaning process should be followed by swishing with an antibacterial mouthwash that has anti-plaque or plaque removal properties as well;
- Pay attention to what you eat and drink – too much sugar and acid in your food and in your beverages, foods that are too hard to chew can all damage your teeth. Try to limit the amount of sweetened, carbonated beverages as well as of sweets and make sure never to chew on hard candy or on nuts that seem too hard;
- Visit your dentist regularly – six-monthly visits to your dentist are essential for your oral health, even if you do not notice any symptoms. Your doctor will inspect your teeth and your entire cavity and will catch any issues while they are still minor and easy to fix.
Tags: oral surgeon Castle Rock
If you have made up your mind to invest into the best dental replacement solution and to get implants, you are probably looking for the right implant specialist right now. Here are some tips to make your search easier:
- Talk to your general dentist – even if your dentist does not have a specialization in dental implants, he or she is likely to know other dentists who do, so your general dentist should be your first source of information;
- Talk to your oral surgeon – many oral surgeons specialize in implantology, so if you have recently had any teeth removed or operated on by an oral surgeon, turning to that person for advice might also be a good idea;
- Search for the right doctor online – many dental practices today have their own websites where they describe the types of services that they provide. Use your search engine to make a list with all the implant specialists in your area, then check and double-check all the names on your list until you find two or three suitable doctors to contact; Start your search here https://www.ioscolorado.com/.
Make appointments – visit the doctors on your list and ask them to provide a detailed description of the process of installing implants. Request a cost estimate, too – the rates practiced by different doctors can be very different
Wisdom teeth are the last to erupt, their development process not being complete until around the age of 18-20. While many dentists don’t recommend the extraction of wisdom teeth if they do not cause problems, others argue that they are best removed as soon as they erupt completely to avoid any issues later.
By our early 20’s, our wisdom teeth are fully erupted, meaning that they have protruded through the gum and the development of their root as well as of their crown is complete. If their direction of growth is correct, they might not cause any issues, but even so, they are very difficult to clean properly, therefore they are more prone to developing cavities and infections than other teeth. Many people, however, suffer from wisdom teeth growing in the wrong direction right from the beginning. According to highly regarded wisdom teeth removal Castle Rock oral surgeons, the issue can be very serious – wisdom teeth can be growing horizontally, pushing the entire line of teeth in the opposite direction and leading to crowding, which can make the entire line of teeth sensitive, even painful and more prone to problems. In such cases, the removal of the wisdom teeth is the right solution – it can be done at any age, but the earlier, the better.
Many people confuse oral surgeons and general dentists, thinking that both types of specialists perform the same types of interventions. The truth is that the two types of doctors do very different things – here are some things that you should know.
While many procedures are performed by both types of doctors, general dentists are specialized in applying fillings, inlays and overlays, in doing professional dental cleaning, in taking molds and mounting crowns and bridges and in performing root canal treatments. Oral surgeons, on the other hand, are trained and qualified to perform more complex procedures many of which involve surgical interventions. The most common types of treatments that you should turn to a trusted oral surgeon in Colorado Springs for include the mounting of dental implants, the removal of any growth in the oral cavity, such as tumors, obstructed saliva glands or papillomas, surgical interventions performed to realign the jaw line, jaw surgery and interventions intended to correct the issues caused by facial trauma or accidents.
The offices used by the two types of specialists are different, too. While general dentists use offices equipped with the dentist chairs that we all know, oral surgeons also have an operating room where they perform the surgical interventions among sterile circumstances.
An oral surgeon is a doctor who is a trained and qualified general dentist and has also specialized in surgical interventions performed on the jaw area of the head. Here are some of the most common interventions performed by oral surgeons:
- Interventions to install dental implants – most oral surgeons also specialize in dental implants, these modern dental replacement solutions that are becoming increasingly popular. Dental implants are artificial teeth that are mounted into the gum and they work and feel exactly like natural teeth; IOSC is a top notch dental implants Castle Rock practice. See them for dental implants and other oral surgery procedures as well for care you can trust.
- Wisdom teeth extractions – wisdom teeth are usually removed by oral surgeons, not by general dentists because in most cases they require complicated interventions and special tools;
- The removal of inflamed saliva glands – another very common intervention performed by oral surgeons is the removal of obstructed and inflamed saliva glands from the inner lips or from other areas of the oral cavity;
- Corrective jaw surgery – oral surgeons are the specialists to turn to for the correction of any issues caused by facial trauma or accidents that affect the jaw’s bones and muscles;
- The removal of tumors – oral surgeons are also trained in removing benign or malignant tumors from the oral cavity or from the facial area.
Dental surgery (oral or dento-alveolar) is a very important branch in dentistry and helps to solve the oral complications that prevent the functioning and restoration of the tooth.
If you are not aware of the nature of your dental problems, you should contact a good dentist that will determine the type of treatment you need.
Also, here is a list of dental treatments that require surgery in a dental clinic:
- Infections at the root of the tooth that require apical resection, also called apical granulomas
- Impacted wisdom tooth or canines
- Dental extractions by alveolotomy
- Various maxillary cysts
- Normal or complicated abscess incision
- Surgical treatment for prosthetics
- Discovery of impacted teeth for orthodontic purposes, gingivectomy, gingivoplasty
- Regularizations of the alveolar ridges
- Removing benign tumors of the soft parts or of the maxillary bones
- Periodontal surgery
- Bone augmentation
- External and internal sinus lift (used when performing a dental implant operation)
- Gingival plastic surgery
- Sub-gingival curvature
- Diagnose of malignant tumors
Any complex treatment requires a thorough knowledge of both the case and the patient. This is why it is important to choose a prominent Colorado Springs oral surgery clinic that you can trust, who dedicates time to getting to know and interact with their patients, to help them overcome any emotions or anxiety barriers that may occur before surgery.
Dental surgery is a branch of dentistry that involves profound changes in the teeth, the facial bones and the entire oral cavity, in general. Oral surgeons perform interventions from ranging from facial reconstruction following accidents, dental implants, tumors and cysts that appear in the facial musculature.
Types of surgery:
- Simple dental extractions
- Complicated dental extractions that involve the removal of soft tissue surrounding the bone or root stumps
- Extractions of wisdom teeth (simple, semi impacted, impacted)
- Soft tissue sampling for biopsy
- Removal of tumors from the oral cavity
- Dental implants
- Orthodontics and Orthopedics in repositioning the jaw, to correct bite problems
- Restoration of the bone or fractures in the cheek
- Dental pulp interventions (endodontic surgery)
- Dental prosthetics – in procedures such as crowns, facets, decks, dentures
Given the complexity of the surgical interventions, if you need a dental implant, make sure you choose a respected dental implants Colorado Springs specialist. You can start with recommendations from your acquaintances, but you will have to continue with a visit to the office and a discussion with the respective specialist. First of all, you have to make sure that he/ she has the necessary professional certifications and specializations, the equipment and the interest to follow the newest trends in the field.
An oral surgeon performs invasive surgery. Even if they are painless, such procedures should always be done in a hygienic environment. It is also important for you as a patient to be treated with kindness, both by the doctor and by the auxiliary staff.